About the Presbyterian Healthcare Foundation
Presbyterian Healthcare Foundation directs almost $10 million to PHS programs, Rust Campaign
Big or small, every gift to the Presbyterian Healthcare Foundation makes a difference.
Recently, the Foundation awarded $821,000 in response to funding requests from throughout Presbyterian for important operational needs. The Foundation also transferred $9 million to Presbyterian from contributions for the Rust Medical Center Campaign. This total allocation - almost $10 million - was made possible entirely by contributions from grateful patients and their families, other individuals (including physicians and staff), corporations and foundations.
Staff development (nursing education, in particular) and patient financial assistance emerged as the two major areas to receive funding in the most recent funding cycle. Patient education and amenities were also supported. Below is a summary of funded requests.
- Conferences and continuing education in chaplaincy; ambulatory care, perianesthesia and NICU nursing; respiratory therapy; radiology; and sleep disorders
- Other nursing conferences and leadership training
- Nurse navigator and high-risk breast cancer nurse training and recertification
- NICU nurse certification review course
- Pathways nurse education scholarships
- PRIDE annual nurse celebration
- PMG nursing orientation
- Cancer risk assessment/clinical cancer genetics training
- Baby-friendly designation training
- Hospice caregiver reference books
Patient financial assistance
- Emergency financial assistance for basic needs (food, lodging, transportation)
- Senior transportation fund
- HealthPlex senior health fitness scholarships
- Emergency financial assistance for transplant patients (basic needs and prescription drugs)
Patient education and amenities
- Patient education materials for asthma, cancer, diabetes, sleep disorders and substance abuse programs
- Chaplaincy care notes, bibles and other resources
- Hospice inpatient unit renovation enhancements
- Baby-friendly designation gift bags w/educational materials promoting breast feeding
- Children's Healthcare Fair
Contributions to the Foundation come from many avenues-PresGiving and the Annual Cornerstone Campaign, special events, bequests and other estate gifts, and major gifts directed to specific areas of interest, although unrestricted contributions are increasingly important in helping address needs and opportunities not aligned with specific funds.
The process of awarding grant dollars to Presbyterian entities is directed by the Foundation's Allocations Committee, a 12-member subcommittee of the Presbyterian Healthcare Foundation's Board of Directors. Every request is carefully considered with feedback from Presbyterian senior management and, if deemed worthy of support, aligned with specific donor funds. For more information, contact the Presbyterian Healthcare Foundation at 505-724-6580.